Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cheers




I'm not typically a resolution kind of girl. I feel like resolutions are just something people say because we're expected to as part of our society so I don't make them. Most people I know try to make resolutions year after year. Then year after year 'fail' to meet those resolutions and fill themselves with regret and self-loath. That feeling of failure compounds and whatever it was they resolved to do becomes a point of contention, deep frustration and a source of negative energy. I believe that the idea of New Year's resolutions set people up for failure. However, I don't mean to imply that setting and obtaining goals is a bad thing. In fact, for some using the societal pull of a New Year's resolution can be quite a helpful tool for keeping them on track. I just know more folks who have considered themselves 'failures' after slipping up on a New Year's resolution. And I won't even get into the distorted meaning of the word 'failure' and all it implies--right now.

I do have objectives that I look forward to each year. These objectives are things I would like to achieve but I don't base my self-worth on whether or not I meet them. My objectives must be concrete. Abstracts are not conducive to success. I will propose to lose xx pounds rather than to lose weight. Or I will work on patience when I am tired rather than I will be a better mom. It is easier for me to get my mind and spirit on board if I have specific direction.

So for 2009 my objectives are as follows:

*I will continue to be a non-smoker. Sadly, this is getting more and more difficult each day but I have had continued success since October 5, 2007. I know I can do this.

*I will continue to maintain good grades in school but I will increase my study time for each class by 2 hours a week.

*I will continue to have a healthy body by eating pure foods and exercising vigorously at least 3 times a week.

*I will begin working on a project I have been wanting to complete for years. Sorry, I am leaving this one intentionally vague here because I'm not ready to discuss this one quite yet.

2009 will be a fantastic year.

Happy New Year to you all.

May 2009 bring you compassion, health, happiness and prosperity.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: