Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Finally! After 10 Long, Expensive Years

I am no longer the parent of a child IN diapers!

Yes, you read that right. I've been buying and changing diapers for 10 Years. I've been a mom for 12 years and have 4 kids. Once one child got out of diapers another came along! In the last 12 years there has only been 2 of those years diaper free.

So on this day, Earth Day April 22, 2008 when I declair my diaper independence I would like to reflect on the cost we have likely spent. Let's do the math. 1 huge pack of diapers a week for 10 years at $20 per pack. There are 52 weeks in a year so 52 x 10 = 520. That's 1 huge pack of diapers a week for 520 weeks. $20 x 520 = $10, 400. So in diapers alone, we have spent an estimated $10, 400 in the last 10 years on diapers. That's a nice chunk of change. Perhaps Pampers should send us a thank you card.

Now let's think about the baby wipes. They are less expensive but we purhcased them once a week as well. So a wipes refill is about $7. So $7 x 520 = $3, 640. We have spent an estimated $3, 640 in the last 10 years on baby wipes.

Which brings our, estimated, total to $14, 040 on diapering, not including the manual labor.

Now for the perspective...

$14, 040 is the cost of a nice used car--or a not-so-nice new car.
$14,040 is a good down payment on an average home in our area--a great down payment on a home in the city.
$14,040 is the cost of a few awesome vacations

I suppose it goes without saying that I am thrilled to be through with diapers. I'll be waiting for our thank you from Pampers!

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

AlaphGypsy said...

I'm thinking that a thank you is more than warranted, not likely because you're not planning on being a returning customer, though.